Afterschool Arts Programming
SOBA provides art classes to all 4th and 5th grade students in the town of Bluffton. This is a free after school program.
SOBA Scholarship Program
Each year SOBA awards the Naomi McCracken Scholarships. Named for one of SOBA’s original founders, the scholarships are given to deserving Bluffton High School graduating seniors who have been accepted to an accredited art college and plan to major in the visual arts. Many talented young people have benefited from SOBA’s scholarship program through the years.
In 2008, the board of SOBA established a scholarship with the following criteria:
- The name of the scholarship would be the Naomi McCracken—SOBA Scholarship
- The scholarship would given to a graduating senior at Bluffton High School
- The recipient had to be majoring in the visual arts
- The amount of the award was to be $3000.00–$1500 the first year and $1500 the second year.
- The second year’s award would only be awarded upon a letter from the student stating they were continuing their education in visual arts.
In 2010, the board changed the award to $2500 – $1500 for the 1st place applicant and $1000 to the 2nd place applicant. It also tightened the requirement that the applicant had to be accepted to an accredited art school or college at the time of the interview.
From 2008 thru 2010, SOBA has been able to pay for the scholarship award from operating funds. Hence, all the donated funds were placed in a restricted account (per a vote by the board) for scholarship use only.
If you are a teacher and/or would like more information on any of our programs, please contact us.