February News from the Society of Bluffton Artists
Is it winter is it spring? Are we confused, yes? One thing we do know that no matter the weather our creativity is in full swing. Please take advantage of all the workshops at SoBA to learn something new or expand on what you already know.
Important note; I feel my primary responsibility as SOBA’s President it to promote SoBA by promoting SoBA Members. Whenever I hear of an opportunity for you to display and sell your art. I will share that with you. Whenever I’m networking with groups and individuals inside and outside of the art community I promote SoBA. My hope is that all of us achieve the level of respect and success that we’ve rightfully earned by our commitment to our craft.
Get working on your art piece for the Judged Show and get registered the spots are filling up fast.
A few important points
1. There is No Theme, be creative in your unique style
2. When you register you MUST pay the entry fee to reserve your spot.
3. If your art piece does not have a Title or a Price yet just put TBD (to be determined)
For those of you who are uncomfortable with registering or paying online there are many copies of the registration form at SoBA Gallery. When you complete the form please print very clearly and attach your check. You may leave it in the cash box at the gallery or mail it to SoBA PO Box 1972 Bluffton, SC 29910
Gayle Miller, President
Society of Bluffton Artist
$oBA Arti$t$ $ale$
SoBA trusts that you understand that the success of your art sales majorly impacts the success of SoBA. Are you a member of SoBA to display your art or are you a member of SoBA to display and sell your art?
If your art sales are not where you want them to be, you should review some of things you are doing to promote yourself and the creative work you do.
- If you are showing your art with the hopes of selling it are you Pricing It to Sell? Would you pay what you’re asking for art if you were the customer?
- Are you presenting your art in the best possible way? Framing, and/or matting that compliments the art, proper wiring, can the customer proudly buy the piece and hang it?
- If you are showing 12 months of the year and selling one piece what are you doing with the 11 other pieces? Art in your garage, closet or under your bed is not available for a customer to buy. Price it to Sell.
- Are you promoting yourself and the places that you show your art to sell?
- Are you sharing your art and sales successes on Social Media? You do have a Facebook Page or Instagram Page, right?
- If your promote SoBA Gallery you promote yourself.
- Review these statistics. SoBA has 129 displaying artist. Are you one of the artists that sold art in the past two years? Did you sell enough to earn $600 in commission and receive a 1099?
- 93 SoBA Artist Sold Art
- 72% of displaying artists sold art
- 17 SoBA Artists received 1099
- 18% of Selling artists received commission of over $600
- 96 SoBA Artists Sold Art
- 74% of displaying artists sold art
- 22 SoBA Artists received 1099
- 23% of Selling Artists received commission of over $600
Center for Creative Arts
Visit sobagallery.com for details and registration.
Classes will be held in the SOBA Center for Creative Arts next door to the SOBA Gallery at 8 Church Street, Bluffton unless noted otherwise. Schedule is subject to change. Please make reservations in advance for all workshops. Art teachers’ compensation for their time and expertise depends on a minimum number of students per class. Registration commits you, the teacher, and SOBA. To enroll please chose your class(es) here on our web site and register with a credit card or paypal, or pick up a form at the gallery which you may fill out, enclose a check or money order or credit card information, and mail in to SOBA Classes, PO Box 1972, Bluffton, SC 29910. Please note that there are no refunds
- Missy Gentile — Abstract Art: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Saturdays February 3, 10, 17 & 24
- Connie Winters — Modern Impressionism: 9:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. February 7, 8 & 9
- Dennis Lake — Open Classes: 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. February 13, 20 & 27
- Eve Miller — Pastels A to Z Tools and Techniques: 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. February 15 &16
- Jim Lewis — Seven Keys to a Successful Painting: 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. February 22
- Jim Lewis — Loosen Up with a Palette: 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. February 23
- Pat Diemand & Marianne Stillwagon — Floor Cloth Workshop: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. February 26
Deadline to Register Feb 19th
- Linda St. Clair — Three Day Workshop: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. March 6-8
- Dennis Lake — Open Classes: 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. March 13, 20 & 27
- Michael Story — Limiting Your Palette to Create Mood & Drama: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. May 1-3
Joan Wykis Exhibits “Artistic Musings” in February at Society of Bluffton Artists
Local artist Joan Wykis will display watercolor and mixed media art in an exhibit called “Artistic Musings from February 5-March 4 at the Society of Bluffton Artists (SoBA) gallery, located in Old Town Bluffton. An opening reception is slated from 3-5 p.m. February 11 at the gallery.
The event is free and open to the public.
“Painting is playing a major passion in my life since my retirement,” said Wykis. “What fun to pick up a brush and see different colored shapes bursting onto paper under my direction.”
Wykis work includes a Batik style of painting that entails many an initial application of wax to areas remaining white, a layer of watercolor paint, more wax, more color and more wax to the entire paper that is them crumpled. Another layer of darker paint is applied that settles into the cracks made by the wax. The wax is removed with absorbent paint and heat.
Wykis began studying under talented artists Carol Ann Sherman, Janet Rogers, Mike Bailey and Myrna Wacknov in Palm Beach County, Fla. Her work are regularly displayed at the SoBA gallery, Alexander’s Restaurant on Hilton Head and Calhoun Street Gallery in Bluffton.
“My process and understanding of what works for me as an artist continues to evolve as I strive to learn as much as I can when I paint and instruct,” said Wykis whose work includes striking portraits and landscapes of the surrounding Lowcountry area.
For more information on Wykis, visit https://joanwykis.com/.
Featured Artist Schedule 2018
February: Joan Wykis
Dates of Show: Monday February 5th thru Saturday March 3rd
Reception: Sunday February 11th 3-5 pm
March: Judged Show
Check in Monday March 5th
Dates of Show: March 6th thru April 1st
Reception & Award Ceremony: Wednesday March 7th from 5- 7pm
April: Chappy Bailey
Dates of Show: Monday April 2nd thru Sunday May 6th
Reception: Sunday April 8th 3-5 pm
May: Bill Bogle
Dates of Show: May 7th thru June 3rd
Reception Sunday May 13th 3-5pm
June: Pam Davis
Dates of show: June 4th thru July 1st
Reception Sunday June 10th 3-5pm
July: Gerry Diaz
Dates of Show: July 2nd thru August 5th
Reception: Sunday July 8th 3-5pm
July Gallery Show: Side by Side
August: Linda Clapp
Dates of Show: August 6th thru September 2nd
Reception: Sunday August 12th 3-5pm
September: Joan Moreau McKeever
Dates of Show: September 3rd thru September 30th
Reception: Sunday September 9th 3-5 pm
October: Lori Wilson
Dates of Show: October 1st thru November 4th
Reception: Sunday October 7th 3-5 pm
November: Lin Hilts
Dates of Show: November 5th thru December 2nd
Reception: Sunday November 11th 3-5 pm
November Gallery Show: It’s Hip to Be Square Show
December: Marianne Stillwagon
Dates of Show: December 3rd thru January 6th
Reception: Sunday December 9th 3-5 pm
Questions: Gayle Miller, [email protected]
SoBA Member Guidelines
2018 SoBA Change of Show Dates
CCA for Art Entry 9-11:00 am
- February 5th
- March 5th Judged Show
- April 2nd
- May 7th
- June 4th
- July 2nd
- August 6th
- September 4th (Tuesday)
- October 1st
- November 5th
- December 3rd