- April 25th, 2022
- 10:00am-12:00pm – Optional lunch after the tour
- 15 spots – first come, first served!
- Your guide is SOBA artist & Telfair docent, Pete Shcramm
- $12.00 per person for admission to both museums
- Optional lunch after tour is at Jepson Center, Joe’s at the Jepson https://joesatthejepson.com
- The group will meet in front of the Telfair Acadamy, 121 Barnard St, Savannah, GA 31401.
- Guests, on their own, are free to visit the Jepson after lunch or after the Telfair tour if they choose to skip lunch.
REGISTER FOR THIS EVENT
Telfair Museums houses a vast collection of artwork, ranging from 18th century art to contemporary works of the 21st century. We are lucky enough to have a Telfair Museum docent among our members!
The group tour lead by Pete Schramm (SOBA Exhibitor and Telfair Museums Master Docent) will feature the museum’s history and collection highlights.
Telfair’s collection consists of over 6,300 American and European paintings, sculpture, works on paper, and decorative arts items dating primarily from the 19th century through the present day. With particular strengths in American portraiture, American Impressionism, the Ashcan School, and American and English silver, the collection includes works by Rembrandt Peale, Thomas Sully, Gari Melchers, Childe Hassam, Frederick Carl Frieseke, Willard Leroy Metcalf, Henry Ossawa Tanner, Robert Henri, George Bellows, William Zorach, Walker Evans, Helen Levitt, Sam Gilliam, and many others. Highlights also include items from the museum’s distinguished collection of furniture and decorative arts, portions of which have been housed at the Telfair Academy since the early 19th century.
The Telfair Academy designed by British architectural prodigy William Jay in the neoclassical Regency style, is a former mansion built from 1818-1819 for Alexander Telfair, son of Revolutionary War patriot and Georgia governor Edward Telfair. In 1875, Alexander’s sister Mary – heir to the family fortune and last to bear the Telfair name – bequeathed the house and its furnishings to the Georgia Historical Society to be opened as a museum. After significant renovation by German-born architect Detlef Lienau, whose adaptations included the addition of the Sculpture Gallery and the Rotunda, the building opened to the public in 1886 as the Telfair Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Guests will be encouraged to look closely, think creatively, develop personal interpretations, and share in group discussion.
PLEASE JOIN US FOR THIS RARE OPPORTUNITY TO ENJOY WORLD CLASS ARE WITH OTHER ARTISTS AND LEARN ABOUT THESE COLLECTIONS FROM OUR PRIVATE TOUR GUIDE!