For SOBA Members
A Guide to Your Successful Membership
Time to renew your membership?
- Exhibiting artists who register as a Photographer may only display photography.
- Exhibiting artists who register in other mediums may not display photography.
- Artists who wish to display both art and photography must pay for 2 individual memberships and sit 1 time for each month for each medium.
- Paintings must be completely dry, not wet or tacky either on the surface or edges of the piece.
- Only 1 piece of art is accepted for each change of show unless otherwise changed by the board or for Covid 19 restrictions.
- There must be 3 months between exhibiting the same piece of wall art or 3-D.
- All wall art is to be wired properly. NO SAWTOOTH HANGERS.
- Diptychs and Triptychs must be connected in order to be hung in the gallery and must not exceed the overall maximum gallery size.
- If your piece sells, you may replace it with a new piece in the exact location as the sold piece. If it does not fit in that space, please contact Pat Diemand and she will re-hang your piece.
- ARTISTS ARE NOT TO REARRANGE, MOVE, OR ADD ADDITIONAL ART WORK IN THE GALLERY.
- Art work must be original. NO Giclee’s. Reproductions are only accepted for Bin Art.
- Maximum weight for all wall art is 12 lbs.
- Frames that are too heavy will not be accepted.
- If in doubt, save yourself an extra trip and bring a backup to change of show. Hanging Committee to decide.
- Framed art that required a protective cover and is LARGER THAN 18” X 24” must be glazed with plexiglass, not glass. All plexiglass glazed items must have care instructions on the back of the work.
- Bumpers may be included and placed on back corners.
- Framing wire is required with the exception of metal backed artworks. The salability of all art will be enhanced if presented professionally.
In order to hang on gallery walls the following size limits must be followed:
- Maximum size is 36” x 40” (standard size canvas with a 1” frame is acceptable.)
- Larger pieces that are not heavy will be accepted on a limited basis if you notify the Display Committee chair a week or more in advance of change of show. Acceptance depends on the overall number of pieces entered and the amount of wall space available on change of show day.
- Bring in a backup piece if your large piece is not accepted. Minimum size is 8” x 8”.
Gallery Wrapped Art
- Depth of all gallery wrapped canvases must be 1-1/2” deep.
- The top, bottom and sides must be finished and painted to compliment the painting.
- Gallery wrapped art must be wired. Bumpers may be included and placed on back corners.
- A total of 3 pieces of bin art is permitted.
- Bin art changes 4 times a year and only on change of show day in JAN., APRIL, JULY, AND OCT.
- 3-D and Jewelry artists are juried in.
- 3-D artists are limited to 3 members and are permitted 3 pieces of art each month that must fit in the designated shelf area.
- Stained glass is limited to 1 artist and must be juried in and 2 pieces of stained glass are permitted to hang in the front gallery windows only.
SOBA is not responsible for lost or damaged art work.
*** WORK LEFT AT S.O.B.A. FOR MORE THAN 30 DAYS BECOMES THE SOLE PROPERTY OF THE GALLERY.
IF AFTER MAKING CONTACT WITH THE OWNER THE ART WORK IS STILL NOT PICKED UP, IT WILL BE DISPOSED OF IN ANY MANNER DECIDED UPON BY S.O.B.A.
Change of Show Registration Forms
Bin Art Labels
Bin Art List Forms
Featured Artist Exhibit
Here's what you can expect.
Each month, SOBA gallery changes over to display new artwork from select member artists. The honor of being Featured Artist is awarded by the Board to members who have indicated they are interested in being chosen, who have been a member for at least a year, who have consistently exhibited excellent work in the gallery and who have participated in events and projects to support SOBA’s work.
Artist members should contact the Vice President who is the board liaison for Featured Artist Exhibits with their wish to be chosen. The liaison will be responsible for all arrangements. Your expense will include the cost of your reception and posters and cards, SOBA pays for advertising, videos and press releases. We welcome your interest.
How Featured Artist Exhibits are Promoted
The Featured Artist exhibits are heavily promoted by a professional marketing agency — including: